Rather than write an article, I have decided to show a snap shot of armed offences that have occurred in New Zealand in the last few months. The number, the boldness of the offences, the ages of the offenders and their distribution across the country shows that no part seems to be spared. All of the offences mentioned below have happened since 01 January 2017.
- Youths attacking a service station in Northland
- Armed hold up of service station in Ngaruawahia
- An armed hold up injures two in Whakatane
- Dairy held up in Hamilton
- Dairy held up in Wellington
- Bar robbed overnight in Christchurch
- Bar held up in Christchurch as band plays on
- Restaurant held up in Christchurch
There have also been a spate of dairy robberies in south Auckland.
What do you think needs to happen to offenders who are caught? I would like to see several things happen with convicted offenders:
- Seize their passports, as why would other countries want convicted violent offenders from another nation visiting them?
- Ask victims what they would like to see the offenders do if restorative justice is not an option
- Assets confiscated in order to pay for damages if financial means to pay up does not exist
Given the lack of action by the Government in dealing with this spiralling violence the state of violent crime in New Zealand may become an election issue. This becomes particularly concerning with the increasing costs of cigarettes and other tobacco products, as well as drugs fuelling crime. Frustrated and fearful business owners trying to ensure that they are able to cope in the event of an attack on them, need to know that someone will help them.